Monday, March 17, 2008

Hey, Good Looking!


And suddenly the memory revealed itself
Always the urban pioneer, I found myself walking across W. 45th St. on the evening of St. Patrick's Day. Between 10th and 11th Avenues, even. And there it was: Shamrock Stables. It looks different to me, in recent weeks. Seems spiffy! (I know, difficult to tell.) Maybe it's my fevered imagination, but it looks cleaner. Whitewashed, even. Reminds me of something.

Oh, now I remember. It reminds me of how China is "cleaning up" ahead of the Olympic games.

Read a recipe that I came across for making your own whitewash, which the authors say gives barns a real "neat and clean" feel.

If you visit New York, visit Hell's Kitchen (now Clinton). Still the grittiest and most authentic NYC neighborhood, it's now in danger of being too darn trendy. That water, that sunset, that barbed wire, that marijuana stench. It's the neighborhood of choice for the horse stables.

No comments: